A market leader in providing legal services to the marketplace lending industry, Chapman and Cutler LLP was named “Law Firm of the Year” at the inaugural LendIt awards in 2017 and wrote the book on the regulatory landscape that the entire industry has come to rely upon: The Regulation of Marketplace Lending: A Summary of the Principal Issues. The legal services we provide are comprehensive – from the development of online lending programs, to the funding of platforms, to investor opportunities (closed-end funds, whole loan purchases), and securitization. We provide advice to:
- Lending platforms and loan investors in whole loan purchase programs.
- Commercial banks, investment banks and borrowers in the negotiation of marketplace loan warehouse facilities.
- Sponsors, initial purchasers, placement agents and indenture trustees in marketplace loan securitizations.
- Platforms in connection with pass-through note programs, proprietary investment funds and other structured transactions.
- Investment fund managers in the development of closed-end funds focused on this space.
- Numerous clients on applicable regulatory issues including state licensing requirements and usury laws, federal and state consumer protection laws, fair lending, electronic signatures, electronic fund transfers and similar matters.